Sunday, March 17, 2013

I'm bored....

It seems like years since all the rivers in the Snohomish system closed on February 15th. Working 800 hours a week sitting behind a desk staring at a monitor while ramming fist fulls of gold fish crackers into my face, I can feel the fat rolls growing. Staring out the window at that mountains, I cant help but think about how the Stilly is only about 10 miles away from my computer chair where I sit and attempt to "mak a living". With the sresses of work and the bills that need to be paid I can't help but dream of what I would rather be doing. I'd rather take a #2 Gamakatsu octopus to the back of my neck than be couped up like that.

Five days working for the weekend and then between Feb. 15 and June, I cant go fishing on a river without driving at least two hours. On top of that, I cant help but think that March is prime time for native steelhead to be returning the "S" rivers. There used to be a C&R season on the Skagit, but then that was taken away. There are some guys that are going to try and change that on April 6th, through a movement called "Occupy Skagit". A wade in to try and bring back thie C&R season. More on that here... https://www.facebook.com/OccupySkagit

So as of late I have had to try and find other ways to take the edge off of my river cravings. Built my first fly rod on a Batson RX6 blank, have been tying steelhead flies that I cant use, and watching youtube videos. Ive enjoyed all of these things, especially rod building, but the next couple months are going to be difficult. There are talks of 6.5 million pinks returning this summer and twice the sillvers as last year, this thought is not helping my patience. I guess I will have plenty of time to clean the smoker up. Cabin fever is a disease that there is only one cure for, and unless I make the four hour drive out to the OP I will continue to sit and mark off days until June.








 








No comments:

Post a Comment