Wednesday, August 28, 2013

NO Skykomish River Dam!!

Many fishermen are on the water every chance they get, and as a result get to know their home waters like the back of their hand and learn to love them. It can take years to learn the ins and outs and all the secrets of a particular system. For me the Skykomish River is becoming those waters. I still have many years and many fish to go before I even come close to knowing the river like the back of my hand, but this river has become my “go to” river, is near my home, and has become a river that I thoroughly enjoy fishing. Part of having “home waters” is working to protect, clean, and conserve those waters.


Cold Skykomish River
A study has been developed that would propose a dam on the Skykomish river above sunset falls. The plan would call for the installation of a 55 ft weir that would inflate and deflate as necessary. The dam would divert water into a tube that would run to a power house further down river. The dam would put out enough energy to power about 10,000 homes. This covers about 1% of all of SnoPud’s customers (most of the power coming from Bonneville). The Skykomish River has been designated “Wild and scenic” and is free flowing and should be left this way. Aesthetics, river contamination, fish habit, and financials, should be just some of the concerns here.


Skykomish River Summer
 I am not an engineer nor am I an environmental scientist, and very rarely do I jump on the tree hugger band wagon, but in this situation I think I will. The Skykomish River was designated wild and scenic for a reason. It is a beautiful free flowing river where myself and countless others love to fish, hike, raft, and just plain enjoy. The plan would cost $150 million dollars and would power 10,000 homes. It does not seem worth the risk, when this money could be put towards upgrading current power supplies or other means of energy. With millions of dollars spent to knock down dams on the Elwha River, this plan seems a contradictory and unnecessary.
Below is a link to a petition that can be signed. Also are links to my sources and other articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment