Thursday, August 15, 2013

Okuma Helios Review


With all the big box store putting our local mom and pop fly shops out of business, I thought I would do my part and go to Wal-Mart and look for a fly reel. Normally, I would stay as far away from Wal-Mart as possible for my fishing gear unless I was looking to pick up some power bait, but I received a gift card, and had no choice but to spend it on fishing stuff. I never pegged Wal-Mart as a place to shop for quality fishing gear, but when I was messing around on the interwebs one day, I came across the Okuma Helios reel. I was forced to spend my gift card on the 7/8 model.

I purchased the reel without ever getting the opportunity to play with one or feel it for myself, but I read many positive reviews, and heard great things about the reel around the internet. Okuma has a history of providing good gear at affordable prices. My first 8 weight reel was an Okuma Sierra that has no bells and whistles, but is tough, holds a lot of line, has a solid drag, and is a reel that I still use regularly today.


When I opened the box to my new Okuma Helios 7/8 the first thing I noticed was how light the reel was. I was also impressed with the aesthetics of the reel. A large arbor, made of machined bar stock aluminum, the Helios is light and precise. The Helios has two ball bearings plus one roller bearing on a stainless steel shaft to make it strong and smooth. A major selling point for me was the sealed drag. The sealed drag will protect it from the elements, taking away any worries I may have had about using the reel in saltwater (which I have already). The drag is easily adjustable and super smooth just like the rest of the reel. Me, being a southpaw, the reel also offers and easy conversion from right to left.

There is no shortage of reels on the market that will break the bank above $300, but the Okuma Helios is half that, coming in around $150. The Helios is a great reel for the price, and can easily compete with $700 bank breakers out
there.

               

 

No comments:

Post a Comment